Today I would like to share with you one of those recipes that is SO easy, SO tasty and goes with either egg-pasta, or hard wheat pasta (only high quality brands pretty please!). It should get you many compliments. Even my son who is not exactly keen on vegetables had seconds of this pasta dish.
The only secret is to search for the tastiest ingredients you can get your hands on. If necessary buy or try different tomatoes, you want them to be bursting with flavor a bit on the sweet side. If the only tasty tomatoes you find are larger than cherry tomatoes, then cut up the tomatoes to bite size!
2 shallots or garlic cloves
Extra virgin olive oil
1 bunch fresh, thin asparagus (500-600grams or a bit more than a pound).
10-12 ripe cherry tomatoes, washed and halved
OPTIONAL: 1-2 dried hot peppers (I prefer whole but you can also use crushed or powdered)
A pinch of salt.
1. Trim the asparagus of its hard stems by snapping off the end: begin by placing your thumb and index finger at the very end of each stem and try to snap it off. It usually snaps where the woody part ends. Wash the stems under running water and dry slightly.
2. Slice the asparagus stems into bite sized pieces.
3. Take a large skillet and add a swirl of olive oil.
4. Peel and chop the shallots and add to the large skillet. Turn on the heat to a medium –low.
5. Once the shallots are softened, add the cleaned, chopped asparagus and continue to cook for a few minutes, until they become bright green. Toss around in the skillet to ensure all the asparagus is cooked evenly.
6. Add your halved cherry tomatoes at this point and sautè until the tomatoes are slightly softened.
7. Salt everything to taste. Toss a few times and turn off the heat.
If needed for extra flavor: Crush the hot peppers and add it to the shallots while they warm up.
8. Cook your pasta, drain and toss with this dressing. If it seems too dry, add a swirl of excellent extra virgin olive oil.
PS no grated cheese is necessary!
Please let me know what you think of this dish in the comments below. Thank you.